Predictors of positive and negative attitudes toward their condition in Turkish individuals with epilepsy

Aydemir N., Jacoby A., Ozkara C.

SEIZURE-EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF EPILEPSY, vol.21, no.5, pp.385-390, 2012 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 21 Issue: 5
  • Publication Date: 2012
  • Doi Number: 10.1016/j.seizure.2012.03.010
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.385-390
  • Keywords: Epilepsy, Adjustment, Attitudes toward epilepsy, Chronic illness, Knowledge, Depression, QUALITY-OF-LIFE, PSYCHOLOGICAL ADJUSTMENT, COPING STYLES, DEPRESSION, IMPACT, ILLNESS, ADOLESCENTS, SEVERITY, ANXIETY, PEOPLE
  • Istanbul University Affiliated: Yes


The purpose of this cross-sectional study was to explore the attitudes of individuals with epilepsy (IWE) toward their condition via self-reported changes in the feelings/thoughts about having epilepsy. We aimed to investigate whether individuals with epilepsy perceive a change in their initial attitudes toward the condition over time. Additionally, if a change was perceived, the variables which predict the current thoughts/feelings toward epilepsy were also examined. Seventy adult IWE participated in the study. Of the 70 participants in the study, 25.7% retained their initial feelings/thoughts without any change. Among the IWE who reported no-change, the most common category was "negative from the beginning". On the other hand, 74.3% of the participants reported a change. Of the 74.3% of participants reporting change, the most common direction was from negative to positive" (79.2%) seeming to indicate a positive adjustment over the passage of time. In a logistic regression, only three factors were found to predict positive feelings/thoughts toward epilepsy: a clear understanding of the condition, low levels of depression and current employment status. Finally, there is a discussion of the potential applications of the IWE' self-assessment of their attitudes. (C) 2012 British Epilepsy Association. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.