Kars Mağaracik, Greek Village and its Chapel


Sağır G.

JOURNAL OF TURKISH STUDIES, vol.16, no.7, pp.327-338, 2021 (Peer-Reviewed Journal)

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 16 Issue: 7
  • Publication Date: 2021
  • Doi Number: 10.7827/turkishstudies.54661
  • Journal Name: JOURNAL OF TURKISH STUDIES
  • Journal Indexes: IBZ Online, ERIC (Education Resources Information Center), Index Islamicus, MLA - Modern Language Association Database
  • Page Numbers: pp.327-338
  • Istanbul University Affiliated: Yes

Abstract

Kars was occupied by Russian army in 1877 on Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878 also known as “93 Harbi” (War of ‘93’). The city was governed by Russians for 40 years between 1878-1918. Mağaracık (Ataköy) is one of the villages that was used as a Greek immigrant’s settlement while the area was under Russian ruling. This text is mentioned about single nave chapel which is located on rural area of the village. Furthermore, the history of the village is mentioned, and the structure is introduced with data of field work. Mağaracık, known as Ataköy nowadays, is found 13 km south of Kars. Mağaracık is the one of the villages that the Greeks which migrated from Pontus after 1878, the period when the Russia governed Kars, was settled. 302 male, 306 female, 628 in total were lived in 68 houses according to 1886 Russian sources. Estimated Greek population was 1300 in 1918 which increased to 1600 in 1919. The chapel is located southeast of the village and near the creek bed and slope in the outside of residential area. Structure was examined under archeological survey and documentation was completed in 2013. In 2018, the structure was visited again to control while another survey was continued in the area. Although the exact construction date of the chapel is unknown, it is likely to have been built in Russian period between 1879-1918. The structure is in the form of a rectangle with 8.95 m. length including the apse and 5.34 m. width externally. It is composed of a single nave and a single apse and probably covered with a barrel vault. Although its size is small and its plan is simple, the chapel in the village of Mağaracık is important in terms of giving an idea about the religious structures of the Greek population who lived in Kars during the Russian period.

Kars, 1877-1878 arasında, “93 Harbi” olarak bilinen Osmanlı-Rus Savaşı’nda, 1877 yılında Rus ordusu tarafından işgal edilmiştir. Kent, 1878-1918 arasında 40 yıl Rus yönetimi altında kalmıştır. Bugünkü adı Ataköy olan Mağaracık, Kars’ın 13 km güneyinde yer alır. Mağaracık, 1878’den sonra Rusların Kars’ı yönettikleri dönemde Pontus’tan (Trabzon) gelen Rumların yerleştirildiği göçmen köylerinden biridir. 1886 Rus kayıtlarına göre köyde 68 hane, 322 erkek, 306 kadın toplam 628 Rum yerleşiktir. 1918’de köyün Rum nüfusu 1300 kişi olarak tahmin edilirken, 1919’da bu rakamın 1600 kişiye çıktığı görülür. Mağaracık köyünün yerleşim alanının dışında bulunan Rumlara ait tek nefli şapelin ele alındığı metinde, köyün tarihine kısaca değinilmiş ve arazi çalışmalarının verileri çerçevesinde yapı tanıtılmıştır. Şapel, köyün güneydoğusunda, yerleşim alanın biraz dışında bir dere yatağının kenarında, yamaçta yer alır. Yapı 2013’de yüzey araştırması kapsamında mimari olarak incelenmiş ve belgeleme çalışmaları tamamlanmıştır. 2018’de de bölgede araştırma yaparken yeniden ziyaret edilerek durumu kontrol edilmiştir. Yapının inşa tarihi bilinmemekle beraber mevcut veriler dikkate alındığında 1879-1918 arasında, Rus döneminde yapıldığı düşünülmektedir. Şapel, doğu-batı doğrultusunda dıştan, apsis dâhil, 8.95 m uzunlukta, 5.34 m genişlikte dikdörtgen, içten ve dıştan yarım daire tek apsislidir. Mağaracık köyündeki şapel, küçük boyutlu, basit planlı olsa da Kars’ta Rus döneminde yaşamış Rum nüfusun dini yapıları hakkında fikir vermesi açısından önem taşımaktadır.