An English Missionary Society in Adrianople: Evangelicalism, Millenialism and the Jews


SAĞ M. K.

BELLETEN, vol.83, no.296, pp.309-342, 2019 (Journal Indexed in AHCI) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 83 Issue: 296
  • Publication Date: 2019
  • Title of Journal : BELLETEN
  • Page Numbers: pp.309-342
  • Keywords: Late Ottoman Architecture, Missionary Schools, Anglo-Ottoman Relations, Jews

Abstract

British Society for the Propagation of the Gospel among the Jews (BSPGJ) was founded in1842 in London in order to convert Jews to Christianity. In the second half of the 19th century the society established several mission centres in Europe and North Africa, including Edirne in 1865. By offering medical and educational service the society converted a great number of Jews to Christianity. In the beginning of the 20t h century the mission became active in the form of an educational institution called "Adrianople English School". Although the traces of the Edirne mission disappeared in the First World War, the architecture of the school building supports the description of the society's cultural relation with the Ottoman society as far as it appears on the photos of the period. In this work first it will be focused on the religious movement called Evangelicalism, which directed BSPGJ and similar British societies to the Jews. Second the history of the society and the conversion of Jews in Edirne will be examined. Finally it is aimed to put forward an outcome which would aid to light the Middle East Question more clearly within the frame of the influence of Britian based Jewish missions on the international politics and the establishment of Israel.