Ingested corrosive agents produce oropharyngeal and gastroesophageal injuries ranging from minor burns to severe necrosis, depending on the agent amount, concentration, and duration of exposure. The aim of this study was to present our patients with corrosive ingestion retrospectively. Four hundred seventy-three children younger than 16 years of age (mean age, 3.7 +/- 0.1 years) who were admitted to our hospital for suspected corrosive ingestion between the years 1995 and 2003 were studied. Two hundred eighty-six (60.5%) of 473 patients were males. Household bleaches (36.6%) and oven cleaners (23%) were the most frequently encountered corrosive agents. During endoscopy, lesions in the esophagus were recorded in 379 children. Eighty-one of the cases had gastric lesions. During the follow-up, esophageal stricture, esophageal perforation, and gastric outlet obstruction (GOO) developed in 11 cases, 1 case, and 2 cases, respectively. Caustic ingestion of alkali substances such as oven cleaner seem to cause more severe injuries. Early admission to the hospital with clinical and endoscopic evaluation and early surgery when required may reduce morbidity and mortality.