Treatment of Pediatric Burkitt Lymphoma in Turkey


Celkan T. T. , BARIŞ S., Ozdemir N., Ozkan A., Apak H., Dogru O., ...Daha Fazla

JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC HEMATOLOGY ONCOLOGY, cilt.32, 2010 (SCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier identifier identifier

  • Cilt numarası: 32 Konu: 7
  • Basım Tarihi: 2010
  • Doi Numarası: 10.1097/mph.0b013e3181e90017
  • Dergi Adı: JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC HEMATOLOGY ONCOLOGY

Özet

This study aimed to assess the demographic data and treatment results of children who were diagnosed with Burkitt lymphoma and treated according to the Berlin-Frankfurt-Munster-95 (BFM) protocol in a single institution. A total of 48 patients (37 boys, 77%) with a median age of 8 years (range 2 to 16 years) at diagnosis, were evaluated. Primary tumor sites were abdomen (70.8%), head and neck (22.9%), peripheral lymph node (2%), bone (2%), and testis (2%). The 5-year overall survival (OS) and event-free survival (EFS) were 78.1 +/- 4% and 76.6 +/- 6%, respectively. In univariate analysis, hemoglobin level less than 10 g/dL, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) positivity and dialysis requirement at diagnosis were found to be important reverse predictor factors for EFS (P; 0.001, 0.001, 0.004, respectively). In multivariate analysis, hemoglobin level less than 10 g/dL and dialysis at diagnosis were found to be important reverse predictor factors for EFS (P; 0.0001). The EFS of our patients was lower than the values achieved with BFM-95 protocol in other centers. This study provides evidence that low hemoglobin level, CSF positivity and dialysis at diagnosis were important predictor factors for EFS in children with Burkitt lymphoma.