Efficacy of the VIT (vincristine, irinotecan and temozolomide) regimen in adults with metastatic Ewing sarcoma

DOĞAN İ., Iribas A., Ahmed M. A., Basaran M.

JOURNAL OF CHEMOTHERAPY, vol.35, no.4, pp.343-347, 2023 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 35 Issue: 4
  • Publication Date: 2023
  • Doi Number: 10.1080/1120009x.2022.2104295
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus, Academic Search Premier, PASCAL, BIOSIS, CAB Abstracts, EMBASE, MEDLINE, Veterinary Science Database
  • Page Numbers: pp.343-347
  • Keywords: Ewing sarcoma, metastasis, prognosis, vincristine, irinotecan, temozolomide, PROGNOSTIC-FACTORS, FAMILY, IFOSFAMIDE, ETOPOSIDE, TUMOR, BONE
  • Istanbul University Affiliated: Yes


The goal of the research was to investigate if a combination of vincristine, irinotecan and temozolomide (VIT) could benefit adult patients with metastatic Ewing sarcoma who had already been heavily pretreated. Metastatic Ewing sarcoma patients had their data retrospectively analyzed. The patients' clinical, radiological and therapeutic data were recorded. Survival analyzes were performed with these data. The study enlisted the participation of sixteen patients. The average age was 25 years old (range: 20-42). The lung was the most prevalent metastatic location (81.3%). Patients had received at least two distinct chemotherapy combinations (87.5%) and palliative radiotherapy (37.5%) before receiving the (VIT) combination. The Median progression-free survival time was found as 3.4 (95% CI, 1.8-4.9) months. Five patients (31.3%) experienced a partial response, while the remaining patients (68.7%) had progressing disease. Thirteen individuals (81.3%) had grade 1-2 adverse events, whereas five (31.3%) had grade 3-4 adverse events. Hematological complications were the most common side effects (87.5%). Median overall survival was calculated as 5.6 (95% CI, 3.6-7.5) months in the patients after the beginning of VIT regimen. We demonstrated the efficacy of the VIT regimen in adult patients with metastatic Ewing sarcoma in this research. In these extensively pretreated patients, toxicities were a concern. Metastatic Ewing sarcoma patients have few treatment choices. In patients who have had a good performance status, VIT regimen may be considered for disease control.