Estrogen replacement therapy among postmenopausal women and its effects on signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders


Nekora-Azak A., Evlioglu G., CEYHAN A., KESKIN H., Berkman S., Issever H.

CRANIO-THE JOURNAL OF CRANIOMANDIBULAR PRACTICE, vol.26, no.3, pp.211-215, 2008 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier

Abstract

The prevalence of temporomandibular disorders (TMD) is about two to five times higher in females than in males. Data for the higher prevalence of TMD in women and prevalence rates peak during the reproductive years and decrease after menopause. This indicated that female sex hormones may play a role in the etiology or maintenance of TMD. The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between postmenopausal hormone use and TMD in Turkish postmenopausal women. One hundred-eighty (1180), postmenopausal women, aged 42-72 years, were examined both clinically and by questionnaire with regard to the signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders, general health status and use of postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy in the preceding year. Ninety-one (91) postmenopausal women (50.6%) were on hormone replacement therapy (HRT). The remaining 89 (49.4%) postmenopausal women were not on hormone replacement therapy. There was no significant difference found in the signs and symptoms of TMD between postmenopausal women using hormone therapy and those not using postmenopausal hormones. There was no association between the use of postmenopausal hormones and the signs and symptoms of TMD in this study.